Cancellation of Tickets and Refund of Fare – Rationalisation of computerised Passenger Reservation System(PRS)
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA (Bharat Sarkar)
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS (Rail Mantralya)
No. 20 13/TQ-I/20/P/PRS Ticket/Pt.
New Delhi, dated 06.11.2015
Chief Commercial Managers,
All Zonal Railways
General Manager /PRS,
CRIS; Chanakyapuri, New Delhi.
Chairman & Managing Director, IRCTC,
B 148, 11th Floor, Statesman House,
Barakhamba Road, New Delhi -110001
(COMMERCIAL CIRCULAR NO. 66 OF 2015)
Sub: Rationalisation of computerised Passenger Reservation System(PRS).
Railway Passengers (Cancellation of Tickets and Refund of Fare) Rules, 1998 have been revised and the revised Railway Passengers (Cancellation of Tickets and Refund of Fare) Rules, 2015 have been notified in the Gazette and revised refund rules have been circulated to all Zonal Railways vide CC no. 64 & 65 of 2015. In the revised refund rules, there is a provision for granting refund of fare on cancellation of confirmed ticket lip to 4 hours before scheduled departure of train. RAC and waitlisted tickets can be cancelled up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.
2. With a view to facilitate implementation of revised refund rules and to provide passengers sufficient time gap between preparation of charts and departure of train, it has been decided to streamline the functioning of computerised reservation system as under:-
a) Reservation charts will invariably be made at least 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train and in case if the same are not made by the charting section, the system will automatically finalise them 4 hours before the scheduled departure of train. This will facilitate passengers to know their status and to plan their journey well in time .
b)Immediately after preparation of reservation charts, the reservation will again become open at the PRS as well as on internet and the passengers can:-
- Book the available accommodation in the train for full/partial leg of the journey in case there is no RAC/waitlist for that leg
- In case there is RAC/waiting list in the train, the passengers will be given the facility to cancel the ticket up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of train. This will facilitate the passengers particularly partially confirmed Passengers to decide either to undertake the journey or to cancel their ticket.
c) A supplementary chart of reservations made and cancellation done during the intermittent period (between preparation of first chart and second chart) will be taken out and handed over to on board ticket checking staff.
d) Available vacant accommodation at train originating station, if any, should not update the waiting list position at the remote location at the time of preparation of first reservation This vacant accommodation will remain available at train originating station for booking till preparation of second chart, which will ensure optimum utilization as’ well as enhanced earnings. At the time of preparation of second reservation charts, it shall update the waiting list of the next remote location and simultaneously the first reservation chart of said remote location shall be prepared. The second reservation chart at the remote location shall also be prepared on the same analogy as that of originating station i.e. thirty minutes before scheduled departure of train. A provision will be required to be made in the system to ensure it, if not already there.
e) The condition for printing of first reservation charts at least four hours before departure of train shall be applicable in case of train originating in case of remote locations, printing of first reservation chart shall be linked to preparation of second reservation chart at train originating station. In case second remote location is at very short distance from the originating station, railways can work out the modalities and decide the timings for preparation of first and second charts at such remote .locations. At such remote locations, it may however be ensured that there is sufficient gap between preparation of first chart and departure of train. If situation so demands, the fist reservation charts at such remote location can be prepared immediately after preparation of first reservation charts at the originating station.
f) At present only SMS updates are sent in case of tickets booked through PRS to those passengers who get their mobile number registered at the time of booking CRIS shall make necessary provision in the software for sending SMS also on booking of ticket through PRS also, on the pattern being followed by IRCTC in case of e-tickets.
3. CRIS will make necessary modifications in the software and provide the above facilities in respect of 2 (b) & (c) w.e.f 10.11.2015 and 2(a) w.e.f 18.11.2015. Zonal Railways may please refer to instructions already issued to Zonal Railways vide no. 2009/TG-I/20/P/Chart dated 14.10.2015 for preparing reservation charts at least 4 hours before scheduled departure and to take out supplementary charts and take necessary action to ensure that all the modalities for release of emergency quota should be completed well in time so that the preparation of reservation charts is not delayed on this account.
3.1 With regards to 2 (d) to (f), CRIS will take necessary action at the earliest under intimation to all Zonal Railways as well as this office.
4. Necessary instructions may be issued to all concerned and wide publicity may be given through all possible means for information of general public.
Dy. Director Traffic Commercial (G)-II