Railway converting of diesel engine to electric engine
INDIAN RAILWAYS CREATES A GLOBAL BENCHMARK IN ENGINEERING ADAPTATION THROUGH ITS FIRST EVER CONVERSION OF LOCOMOTIVE FROM DIESEL TO ELECTRIC TRACTION
THE NEW PROTOTYPE LOCOMOTIVE IS THE FIRST OF ITS KIND ADAPTATION OF DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES INTO ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE WORLDWIDE
EXECUTION OF THE CONCEPT OF LOCOMOTIVE CONVERSION WAS DONE IN A RECORD TIME OF 69 DAYS
SPIN-OFF OF THE SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH MEANS GAINFUL UTILISATION OF MID-LIFE DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE TILL THEIR CODAL LIFE
RE-ADAPTATION TO REGISTER COST CUTTING BY 50% OF EXPENDITURE OUTLAYS FOR REHABILITATION OF MID-LIFE DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES AND ENABLE SAVINGS OF RS.25.-3.0 CRORE PER LOCOMOTIVE
HAULING CAPACITY OF LOCOMOTIVE ENHANCED THROUGH 100% WHOPPING INCREASE IN MOTIVE POWER
AFTER MANDATORY TRIALS, LOCOMOTIVE UNDERTOOK ITS MAIDEN JOURNEY FROM VARANASI TO LUDHIANA ON 3 DECEMBER 2018 HAULING 5200 TONNES LOAD CRUISING AT A MAX. PERMISSIBLE SPEED OF 75 KMPH
Indian Railways rolled out a new prototype electric locomotive converted from diesel locomotive with noteworthy adaptations. In keeping with the Indian Railway’s Mission 100% electrification and de-carbonization agenda, Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi has developed this prototype using resourceful and ingenious adaptation of mid-life diesel locomotive. The high-point of this adaptation is all the more significant as it the first of its kind adaptation of Diesel locomotives into Electric worldwide.
After mandatory trials, the locomotive hauled a 5200 tonnes load in its maiden journey from Varanasi to Ludhiana commenced from Dec. 3, 2018 cruising at a maximum permissible speed of 75kmph.
The Salient Features of the Project are as under:-
• The work on the ambitious and historic project began on December 22, 2017 and the new locomotive was dispatched on February 28, 2018. From concept to execution the conversion of the diesel locomotive to electric was carried out in just 69 days.
• It’s a ‘Make in India’ project done at DLW with their in-house resources and support of Chittaranjan Locomotive Works, Diesel Loco Modernization Works and Research Designs & Standards Organisation.
• It has been planned to discontinue mid-life rehabilitation of Diesel locomotive and convert them to electric locomotive and gainfully utilize them till their codal life.
• Midlife rehabilitation of Diesel Locos at Rs 5-6 cr is inescapable and unavoidable for running of the Diesel locos beyond 18 years. Only 50% of this expenditure will be used for conversion of Diesel locomotive to Electric locomotive.
• A WDG3-class diesel locomotive which was due for a mid-life rehabilitation has been converted to electric and the new indigenous ‘Make in India’ Electric locomotive delivers 5,000 HP which is 92% more than the rail Horse Power of 2,600 HP of the older version of the locomotive.
• The locomotive packs 10000 HP Power adequate to haul a load of up to around 5000 tonnes providing a 2:1 horse power to trailing load ratio considered appropriate for faster transit of trailing loads and improving mobility on IR.
• It is worth-mentioning that conversion cost is around 2.5 crore which is only 50% of mid-life rehabilitation of Diesel locomotive expenditure, hence there will be overall saving to the tune of 2.5-3.0 crore per locomotive by converting diesel locomotive to Electric locomotive instead of carrying out Mid-life rehabilitation of these Locos.
• Therefore it is not only economical but also leads to increase in average speed by freight trains as horse power of converted locomotive is enhanced by almost 100%.
• The project is a definite step forward towards saving of traction energy cost which in turn will reduce IR fuel bill and also reduce carbon emissions besides introducing new age technology in Indian Railways.
• This is a unique product of Indian Railways in more ways than one, and has been produced without causing an extra drain on the finances and first of its kind in the World.
Mission 100% Electrification of Indian Railways (IR)
IR has embarked upon Mission 100% Electrification of BG network and De-carbonization. 4087 BG Route KM have been commissioned on electric traction during 2017-18. This is the highest ever electrification in a year so far. During 2018-19, 6000 Route KM will be electrified.
In view of 100% Electrification, it was planned to convert diesel locomotive to electric locomotive and gainfully utilize them till their codal life. It may also be noted that investment on conversion of diesel locomotive to electric locomotive shall be done during mid-life rehabilitation of diesel locomotive as such there will not be any additional investment on conversion rather there will be saving as cost of conversion is almost 50% of the cost of mid-life rehabilitation of diesel locomotive.